Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 4: Hentiesbaaie to Walvis - 92km

We have not had Internet access for a few days now, hence the delay in the blog.

30 August is a day I would like to forget. Hentiesbaaie is just another little west coast dorpie you can find any where along the coast. The main activity that makes it so popular is that it is a fishing place and geared to do just that. Everything in this dorpie is centred around fishing. Go into any bar and you will see Oom Kalie standing with a hengse vis, a steenbrass of note which he caught in 2011 or so. You will not find any fish caught in 2014. It looks like all the big fish went on holiday and never came back. 

As I cycle along the smooth gravel road surface one cannot help but notice every couple of km the names of fishing places/spots to throw in your line. Names like  Mile 32 and Oom Bassie are just a few I can remember. The road is wide enough to accommodate all and sundry even the maniacs heading to Swakopmund. I continue along the B2 and ignore advice from Curt as the road out of Swakopmund to Walvis bay  is very hectic. The most amazing thing is that the road meanders along the dunes. It is very impressive. I must admit this is the most people I have ever encountered in one point on my journey. The truck and 4x4 is king in hierdie vestiging.  With a couple of near misses, I decide my life is far more important and I eventually give up. I take the car to Walvis to finish this leg of the journey. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eugene u look like a Bergie on a bicycle! Nice pic Curt. Many Capetonians love this place and "die manne" go there for fishing bliss

    ReplyDelete