Sunday, September 14, 2014

Springbok to Soebatsfontein - 120km

Day 16: 11th September 2014

The landscape of Springbok is quite interesting. The N7 is the backbone to the town. The planning is not conventional so the town developed on either side of the N7 with older more established areas formed as part of the old copper mine.

My route will take me towards town of  Kleinsee (alluvial diamond territory).  The sharp incline out of town is a bit harsh for the morning. Not long after that the Sandhoogte Pass is about to add more heat. Strangely enough, there is a mist that hangs over the valley. I'm  riding with a jacket on and the downhill is cold. Not long after another climb, the  Spektakel Pass appears with an amazing downhill at least 5km long. At the  50km mark the turnoff to Kommaggas is a tarred road uncannily and the country side is dry and barren. Sheep and goats are farmed in this area. 
Uphill climb to Kommaggas
Another nasty climb awaits me at the crest and in the  distance is the town of Kommaggas, a mission town. The tar road ends here for no reason and the poorly maintained  gravel  takes over. Ever so often I have to push my bike through the loose sandy soil. The turnoff to Soebatsfontein brings no comfort. Long stretches of rolling hill and the landscape has turned the ochre soil green. Along my route I enter the Namaqua National Park. At far end of the park I enter Soebatsfontein

The stretch along here is very confusing. Fences for farms are either non-existent or neglected, sheep and goats roam freely and people tend to erect a khaya in the veld and then continue farming. Its strange I must say. The infrastructure and governance seem to have fallen by the wayside. Have there been land claims here or is it unprofitable to farm? At this rate all the vegetation will be chewed up pretty soon. Then one stumbles across these little hamlets where people seem to yearn to go to Springbok whether to seek a better existence or because there is nothing better to do … I don't get it. One thing for sure is that employment and opportunities are in short supply. On the other hand, when one enters the National Park and things seem better. Farms are more prosperous and still run by generational families. There definitely is a political vacuum here. We will see tomorrow if there is any change when we leave the park. 

2 comments:

  1. Eugene you really are amazing!!! Those roads sound hectic.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eugene, I take my hat for you bud. This must be such a good experience. True inspiration.

    ReplyDelete