Friday, September 12, 2014

Aussenkehr to Noordoewer - 53km

Day 13: 8th September 2014
A night the bullfrogs put us to sleep is a night to remember. I brought along some earplugs just for occasion. The bull frog symphony continued till first light. We had a short day ahead and were not too sure about the road condition although the staff did mention a tar road all the way to the border.
After breakfast and a bit of a pack away I go on my way. The road is a black line drawn in the desert sand. A head wind makes all the difference. The road meanders along the river with its rises and falls. By midway the sun is boiling and makes the air conditioned offices at the border very attractive.
Orange River
Curt: I have an audience around me while packing up, not because of the cycling interest but as an excuse to get our campsite. Apparently, the geriatric brigade from colonial Africa couldn't sleep a wink last night because of the frogs. When in Africa … accept what comes your way. Anyway, I manage to sell off my Namibian book which will hopefully give them direction …. and the ZAR cash will come in handy as we are running thin the closer we come to the border. One promise I made to myself a while ago was that I would rather sacrifice certain things now, than spend a pension travelling when I am too old to enjoy it. I do appreciate the privilege of travelling especially without the hotel, lodges and resorts. 
Lunar Landscape

The day is like no other and we feel that we are nearing the border as all the South African influences become evident. We cross without any pain, always something I am anxious about as I seem to attract trouble at borders. Looks like my luck is changing, I think I'll play the lotto when I get to Springbok. Oh, we didn't get to eat the custard and canned cocktail fruit, but boy does it taste good tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment