Friday, September 5, 2014

Sesriem to Betta - 142km

After my my two days off I am ready to get back to business. I know I have a long day ahead of me. Curt and I get started at 5am, have breakfast and just before 6am we leave the camp in Sesriem. The gates are still closed and we have to get someone to let me out. Amazingly, the park is very active as people are heading for the dunes to see the sunrise. I, on the other hand, am almost 10km en route when the sun comes out. 
My journey along the C27 is in good condition and I have no difficulty managing the corrugations and the ruts. In  some places the road is cleaned regularly to preventing build up of sand at the edge or in the centre. The road gets worse as the day progresses. In  places the sand build up is so bad that I at have to push my bike to get through.

Curt: Eugene and I have to readjust our thought processes back to the road and what it demands. Our camp guests are not expected to understand that there is mental preparation needed and of course no denying they are on holiday and not in tune. Surprising what the one day's break does. It makes it all disappear so quickly. 

Well the punishment was a long gruelling 142km journey, with very little of the landscape changing. The heat is unrelenting and the road for most of the way is as straight as a die, even the gemsbok are challenging me for the one shady tree which is my next meeting point with Eugene. With 41km to go we decide that it is best that I head to the next town Betta to set up for the night as we estimate that Eugene will arrive in the dark. Well, he beats the sun and comes in just before sunset, me caught with my pants down as supper is not ready.
Sunset over Betta

2 comments:

  1. Haha now now Curt.....that's not on!!! The man has cycled 142 km and has fought with the sand and the sun.......he needs his supper!! LOL.......Well done Eugene!! Quite a solitary day for you too Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm good help is hard to find these days. Slacking on the job! :-)

    ReplyDelete