Saturday, September 6, 2014

Helmeringhausen to Aus - 113km

4th September 2014
The hamlet of Helmeringhausen is at the junction of two roads C13 and C14 from Helmeringhausen to  Aus although the first mileage sign reads AUS 103km the discrepancy continues. The gravel roads continue to be in bad shape and I continue the battle from where I left off. Out of the blue the road gets better "as smooth as a babies bum".  The scenery is exquisite with rolling hills of flaxen grass and red rock bulging out of the grass. This is cattle country with farms extending for as far as the eye can see. 

The heat saps away your energy with marauding flies that continue to vie for attention. I continue to keep watch on the gravel path. It demands your attention. Just a slight deviation and you fight for control as the bicycle wants to jack knife like a raging bull. This is hard work. I arrive at the end my day in one piece, just about.

Curt: Okay, so Eugene has left and we are left behind to clean up and sort things out. We go into the only shop to get supplies and it is all over town that we are part of the cyclist group. Life is slow here so anything new is topical. I quite like the pace though and these farms seem to be successful. I gather up my things and leave to catch up with E. The road is great and with a steady gradient the going is good for the bicycle. I really enjoy this area - the scenery, the farming and the beautiful blonde grass, contrasted by the now more abundant green trees. I reckon that if I brought some vellies and a Toyota I could make a go of it here. 

Then the inevitable happens just as I drove up to Eugene. The hissing sound from my rear tyre means that it is time for a pit stop. We chat away while fixing the tyre and we are soon off again. The bakkie is now really looking battled scarred, with mismatched rims and a broken window covered with cardboard - all part of the experience. At the next stop Eugene works out a recipe while cycling and soon we are cutting up veg at the roadside much to the dismay of the passing tourists. What a jol, where else can one do this! Man I was having a moment, no car guards or parking to pay -just wide open spaces filled with your own thoughts. I've gotta work out a way to get a piece of this action on a more permanent basis. 
The ghost town of Kolmanskop
Aus soon arrives and we settle in to the night happily eating our new recipe and the best wifi so far - bliss!
Kolmanskop ghost town


3 comments:

  1. I admire your staying power, Eugene! Hats off to you my old man :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sandy, Real staying power!!! Kolmanskop is very interesting...saw some amazing pics taken on a trip to Luderitz earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys this really looks like the forgotten west in those cowboy movies. Also Mad Max - forgotten buildings in a barren landscape.... When the tough keeps on going!

    ReplyDelete