Friday, September 19, 2014

Hopefield to Melkbosstrand - 106km

Day 21: 16th September 2014
Padstal
A night at Plaasmol Padstal was wonderful. The R45 to Malmesbury takes me pass the the wind farm; 20km from Hopefield and onto a gravel road the R307 along the railway line. Only 40km and into Darling. My route takes me past Mamre and on to Atlantis which I try to avoid at all cost. The traffic is not what I expected and I make Melbosstrand with my shirt still on. Phew! 
My journey from Namibia was a wonderful experience. The South African leg of the journey was memorable for all the right reasons. I hope that my blog will serve as information to those wanting to tour South Africa:
DON'T BOTHER, TRUCK AND 4X4  ARE KING. If you really want to do this bring along a coffin with you as well … you have to go home in something.
The day has come. By now my fresh sheets and pampering beckons. We have mixed feelings about returning home. Personally its only really my family that draws me, but if there was something interesting on the horizon…..I could probably be tempted. There is so much to see and do in this world and I cannot see the comforts of home restricting me from a life out there. The situations are unique, the people different and the encounters priceless. In my earlier interactions with the outdoor life I looked at the veld and it all looked the same to me, until I started to take an interest in the fauna and flora that a whole new world opened. Reading the veld became an obsession, identifying tracks, buck species ,why proteas grow on one side of the slope, the aloes the other, the list is endless and I haven't scratched the surface. I don't need the DSTV as it gets in the way of all my reading about this subject. It has been a romance that started 10 years ago and I am still a novice in the honeymoon stage. What a privilege it has been to be this close to the road and nature to hear and smell the very nature around you. Some landscapes go on for ever and it compels you to take in all its colour, magnificence and overwhelming size, to put your life in perspective. So all the soppy philosophical stops have been pulled….but that is why I do this… to have a relationship with myself! Well done Eugene you have given me a ticket to your world and for that I am grateful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment