Sunday, September 14, 2014

Noordoewer to Springbok - 121km

Day 14: 9th September 2014

When people plan holidays to Mauritius, Greece etc. I wonder if they take into account what our subcontinent offers. Here I am awake at 6 in the morning, the sun rising with a beautiful hue which can only be experienced in Africa. The morning temperature is a moderate 12 degrees with the promise of a warm day - its spring! We depart rather hurriedly as we have to pack up the caravan to drive the 10 or so km to the border post to continue where we left off. We give a woman a lift who finds it strange that we cannot just pop back across to Namibia. My phobia of borders quickly put an end to that idea. 

Okay, so if there is a Kilimanjaro in cycling, then today is going to be one. Poor Eugene has to climb a steady 800m to get to the plateau and then a bit more further down the line. I am done trying to predict what the day is going to be like, it never works out. I will spare you the details other than to tell you that I now know what a dung beetle feels like. I think we should give Eugene the nickname of Miskruier or shit shovelled because his tenacity is put to the test today. 

We eventually settle in to the Springbok caravan park and are amazed at how full it is. They even have a SASSA official to deal with the pensions. Off to town to get my window fixed after I exported my computer to Walvis to some very needy computer thief. That is sorted in a flash by a very efficient crew at PG glass headed by Marilize. I will have my window broken any day to go back to experience their service. The day ends off with a celebratory supper at Die Grasdak restaurant then back to camp.

Noordoewer is situated very close to the Orange River. Spending the night at Aquacade Camp is amazing. The evening is peaceful with the setting sun over the Orange River Valley spectacular. My journey starts a few meters away from the boader facility on the N7 and heads up through an orange stone valley floor, a steady climb for the next 8km in the early morning. Its cool with a slight breeze blowing. The road is somewhat busy as trucks head across the border to Namibia and surrounding farms. The road has a wide shoulder with ample space for every other road user. I'm very aware that  I'm on the South African side now  where truck is king. I would like to know who trains these drivers, because, as the day progresses, my battle with truckers is a f%$^%s battle I'm going to lose one way or the other. They are inconsiderate and simply barrel along with no consideration of what the wake of the trucks does. All they consider is the load they  are carrying and of what financial value it holds after delivery. Between Steinkopf and Springbok if you plan to do a similar route get ready to do battle. The road is narrow and truckers minds even narrower. I survive to live another day. My journey will continue far away from the dreaded N7.

1 comment: