Sunday, August 31, 2014

Usakos to Hentiesbaai - Day 3


Spitzkoppe
Dear followers, I hope you are aware that Internet access is not always available, hence the gaps in the dates. 
After a good night's sleep and a good breakfast, I am ready to tackle the day.  The steady incline slows me down a bit and after yesterday's lesson I am back  to the slightly softer wheels.  After the 25 km mark the big test of the day arrives. The gravel road starts off well and I make some good time. I must admit this is the first time I am tackling riding on the 29er which apparently does well on the gravel surface (time to test this theory). With the wind behind me I make the most of the suitable condition. The bicycle deals with corrugations pretty well and as the day labours on the wind condition changes. The D1918  introduces me to the maniacs who bolt with their huge 4x4s down the road without much care for anyone else.  
One has to concentrate to keep the bike upright. The ruts are made of thick sand which tend to throw you off your bike. It gets harder and harder as the day continues. I have 120 km ahead of me. It is going to be a tough day in the office. The landscape is dry and dusty and very, very harsh. I'm lucky the sun is a mere 25 degrees. Curt spurs me on and halfway we have lunch and I take a deserved break. I complete the last few km in a stupor.  The day is completed thanks to Curt.
The vastness of the desert
Curt: Someone once told me I was a Kalahari kid -miles and miles of bugger all! I now only see the true depth of this insult looking at this landscape. I keep thinking what is driving Eugene to continue on this road, not only is it a longer stretch than usual but its openness,vastness and emptiness would drive me potty! I think that if I was on that bike I'd slit my wrists. 
Well, Hentiesbaai is a typical West Coast town with everything centred around fishing but lacks Internet. I think they use fishing nets as wifi. I manage to charm a bored library clerk to give me the password to her wifi, only to be glad to hear our story to break the monotony of the day. Later that night after kabeljou and chips we stake out the library to syphon off wifi like two cyber criminals.  

2 comments:

  1. Shame Eugene.......eating dust all day is not my way of having fun!!! Such a lonely figure in that vast expanse of desert and those stretches are faaaaar hey!! Sheer determination...Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey bud we proud of you. I align with Curt. However slitting wrists for haemophilic would be fatal. I will stay with the needle sticks and have an excuse why I cannot do the cycle through the desert! YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!! Cheers Bradley

    ReplyDelete