Saturday, August 16, 2014

Why cycle for haemophilia?

Every few years I enjoy going on a long solo cycling adventure. I have cycled across Cuba, through the mountains of Morocco, through the Atacama Desert in Chile and last year I cycled along the Loire River in France. This year I had decided to cycle closer to home - Namibia. My good friend, Curt, who seconded me in Chile, was keen to come along again in his 4x4.

One afternoon whilst watching a rugby game at my friend Shaun's, Brad overheard me discussing my next cycling adventure and the idea of driving a campaign for awareness about haemophilia in Namibia was born. I liked the idea. Brad is a dear friend and a haemophiliac. He is the chairperson of the South African Haemophilia Foundation(SAHF). Brad is very passionate and committed about driving home awareness of haemophilia. Most of us only hear about the condition but never allow ourselves to find out more about haemophilia. The sad part is that haemophilia does not have the same support and attention as some of the more spoken about medical conditions. 

1 comment:

  1. Great effort Eugene. A perfect way to use your passion for cycling to raise awareness for an important cause!

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete