Sunday, August 31, 2014

Wilhelmstal to Usakos (93km)

 We get up feeling worse for wear. The night turned out to be a very cold one indeed. Just a memory forgotten of a similar situation we encountered in Chile. The drop in temperature to 2 degrees would not leave us in peace. Even with the rising sun it makes no difference. 


By mid morning I shed the additional clothes I have on. The road up to Karibib is in good condition with a wide shoulder and one can ride in comfort without the hazard of fast moving cars and heavy laden trucks. In Karibib Curt goes to the day hospital and delivers some brochures, tee-shirts and speaks to the Head Matron.

The leg between Karibib and Usakos is very different: the B2 is in bad condition, however, the road is very busy. Curt meets me halfway and we have some snacks and water. We also discuss to meet up at the Usakos Hospital. A  similar delivery as in Karibib, the PMO is too busy to see us, however we hand the haemophilia material to the administrator. Once completed we head off to our rest camp for the day. 

Just when you think all is going to be ok , the worst happens.  While waiting to find out where Curt is, I have a blowout.  The front tire tears completely off the wheel rim, with a loud bang. OMG, what a gemors. In the back of my mind somewhere,  I was told to only pump the tyres to 2bar and no more. The thing is that for first day I was struggling with under inflated tyres. Clever me decides to do the opposite. Now I realise, uh oh, wheel be entertained is all I can say. Tubeless tyres are a hengse storie.  I fill up the tyre with liquid which was given to me by my bike shop,  and pray to the tyre gods to help me. Oh! he is merciful,  it worked.

Luister manne - listen to what your mommy says, wear your socks at night as I nearly got frost bite last night - no fun! It was bitterly cold and we went to bed too early so I was awake at 3am. Felt like I was dressed up and nowhere to go but look out into the darkness thinking of hot chocolate and brandy. Anyway, its all part of the excitement, its what sets us apart from those who prefer their creature comforts or so I like to think, Bear Grylls eat your heart out brother I am after you…..not!

Well, as explained the day went on as usual and I expected a bigger town in Usakos. It is quaint and the locals prove very helpful. A minister even offers to put us up at his rectory if we do not find any place to stay. We eventually find a place called Namib Oasis which is closed for camping but the owner obliges and gives us a stand for free. We then decide to have a meal at his restaurant which works out well. Tomorrow is going to be a true test as we tackle the long dirt road to Henties.

2 comments:

  1. Ai Ai......that sinking feeling hey!! Glad the liquid in the tyre worked. So Curt, you have your work cut out for you.....handing out the brochures and tee-shirts at the hospitals on the way. Nice way to meet the people. Oi vey, Can almost feel the cold brrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guys u are a gift. Creating awareness and facing murphy. I am sure you guys are the talk of these small dorpies. The Namib outback will remember those 2 x brave or mad Mzanzi men. Getting their attention and awareness.

    ReplyDelete